Wednesday 5 September 2007

I'm Holding Out For a Hero...

I recently had the pleasure of watching Superman Returns, of which the highpoint was Kevin Spacey, but came away feeling a little cheated. (Here's my grumpy old man bit...)

It was a bit lame really. I guess they were just "Re-invigorating the Franchise" or some such, but it really just made me want to watch the original. (I know I said Kevin Spacey was good... but Gene Hackman was better) It didn't really do anything new or interesting.

I don't want to just pick on this film, when it seems to me that the whole superhero film genre has gone a little flat. They just re-hash old comics - there seems a distinct lack of new heroes.

Now the X-Men films were okay, and the Incredible Hulk was given less credit than I think it deserved, and from all I've heard the Fantastic four film was pretty poor. Spider-man was okay, but by number three I was yawning pretty openly.

I suppose I've got the Wonder Woman film to look forward to if it ever gets made - but I cannot imagine anyone (especially the names mentioned already for the lead role) get anywhere close to Lynda Carter.

There was something, I don't know, somewhat maternal about her. I know the 21st century version will just be some skinny wannabee model, all pouting and big hair.

I digress.

I think the 21st century needs some new superheroes - and I don't mean the overpaid prima donna footballers or "celebrities". I want some new heroes to fit the times we live in - not old ones rehashed with radioactive spiders replaced by genetically modified ones.

Mystery Men from a few years ago was a valiant effort with Mr Furious, Captain Amazing and The Shoveler, but I think more could be done to reflect where we are at within society today.

Whilst researching this piece I came across another blog reporting a new reality TV programme - "WHO WANTS TO BE A SUPER-HERO", fronted or developed or something by Stan Lee. It shows promise, but I imagine it will just be some big brother type letdown.

More importantly, I feel we need to think about a new raft of baddies. I don't want to see Lex Luthor, The Joker, or Doc Octupus, I want Global Warming Man, Hurricane Petula and her Underground Lair or WMD Wanda (Where did she hide them) or Doc Shipman (oops that one slipped out)

Who would we have fight these guys and gals of awesome evil destructiveness? Who should we and our children be emulating to stand up for the hope, respect and the American way?

With a nod to the past, I think the new hero to look up to must be Tron Guy.


I can honestly say, before I get up in the morning, go to work or take on a particularly arduous task, I ask myself "What would Tron Guy do?"

(It normally starts by checking on my server and getting out my wife's sewing machine and making an outfit...)

No comments: