Thursday 30 August 2007

Rock And Roll Star Cup of Tea Shocker!

It has been hard to miss the the coverage of Amy Winehouse in the English tabloids and her "Out of Control" fall from grace over the past few weeks, and clearly my role as a media social commentator to make comment on it!

My normal reaction to seeing a "pop star" on the front page of various newspapers is - "Surely there is something more important going on in the world?". I know the summer months are "quiet" for news - nice to know the wars and pestilence and starvation take a break for their holidays, but surely there is something more interesting than a pop star going off the rails to report on.

I cannot confess to having heard much of Ms Winehouse's music, but after seeing the coverage of her being "Out of Control" and of her fathers "Despair" at urging the public to stop buying her records to send a signal to her - I have a sudden urge to buy up her back catalogue.

Now don't get me wrong, I wish nothing but sweetness and light on the entire population of the world, but, as Mr Hicks would say, I want my Rock stars dead.

I want them no where near the rails, I want them living fast and burning out, I want them snorting coke of the heads of bald dwarfs, I want them driving rolls Royce's into swimming pools, I want them choking to death on their own vomit.

I don't want to see some clean cut kids fronting an anti drugs campaign, or shaking hands with the prime minister at Downing Street (Unless they're planning to go off and smoke a joint in the toilets or some other jaunt)

I don't particularly admire any of the actions above, after all kids - its not big or clever, and I don't even deep down harbour a need to do them myself - but it is what I want my Pop stars to be doing! I want them burning out, throwing lavish parties, being refused entry into countries!

As Bill pointed out if he were to be adopted - "I don't want the Christian family - I want the satanist from down the block - the one's with the good records"

Another story which caught my eye this week and kind of fits in with this was about the original rebels, the (literal) granddads of today's rebels, the Rolling Stones.

In answer to Amy Winehouse and Pete Docherty's latest goings on what had they been up to? And did it involve Marianne Faithful and a Mars Bar?

No. They were in danger of being fined by the local council for smoking a cigarette on stage. And the Stone's response? "Sorry, we didn't realise we were doing it, we promise not to do it again..."

What is the planet coming to?

Now where did Mama Cass go with that Ham Sandwich?

No comments: