Saturday 4 August 2007

The Dilemma of Play Time

I'm on pretty thin ice here of sounding like a typical grumpy old man but bear with me. I'll try not o go down the "Daily Mail Outrage" route of just saying how much better the world used to be with a policeman on every corner, and children playing cricket in the street. All fit and healthy not a single obese child in site.

And then it arrived. The most evil of evils, the video game!

I agree to call it a "Video game" instantly ages me and most kids today wouldn't have a clue what I mean, so to translate - the wicked games console!

Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy a computer game as much as the next man and I am even the proud owner of a Sony Playstation (Not even a PSONE, this is from before they realised they were on to something and brought out a number 2 & 3)

And I guess that is my problem. There's just so many of them - all seemingly so similar ... yet different (I think?!) The XBOX, XBOX360, Playstation 1,2 & 3, a PSP, a Wii, Game Cube, Dreamcast... I've worked in and around IT pretty much all my life and I'm confused. As if the number of different consoles wasn't causing me enough grief, its the levels people go to customising them, upgrading, and downgrading and chipping them. What happened to just buying one, swapping a few games and being content?

I suppose just getting them going takes considerable time and effort, so I guess its no surprise that all the kids of Britain are sat in their bedroom stuffing down burgers and crisps, growing fatter and fatter - which is undoubtedly the safest place to be with a child snatcher on every street corner and Policemen bogged down in paper work. (I really do sound like a Daily Express editorial now so I'll stop!)

The other aspect of the games (leaving little surprise as to why they are so popular) is that they are (or claim to be) so life like. You can play football with the best players in the world, take part in the mass battles of World War two, or have a shoot up in Manchester Cathedral (Ooops not meant to glorify that one!)

Is it any surprise our streets are empty from the sound of playful voices?

So I guess my point is, was the past best and the future to fear? Are those halycon days of yesteryear ever to return ?

If it involves having to go back up chimneys or ferret in between the looms of a busy mill I think I'd rather play virtual tennis with Bjorn Borg (Doh! Showing my age again.)

If it involves catching rickets and dying of influenza, I'll stick to my burger and fries.

If it involves generations of young men dying across the fields of Northern France, I'll stick to my Simulated Commando mission on the XBOX.

In 50 years time, when all the consoles have gone, and we only have electricity for an hour day due to power shortages will the editors sit and yearn for the days of fast food and good clean indoor fun?

Probably. The grass is after all always greener.

Anyway I'm off to find a developer for a whole range of games I'm looking to produce

"Virtual Mill Owner - How Hard can you push the little mites." It's just like the Sims, but you're more likely to lose a finger.


"AGE OF DISEASE" You sit in a draughty hovel and die of the Black Death.

"Medal Of Honour - World War One" - real time game where you sit in a trench for a couple of years, then "go" over the top and the game ends.

I think they're all going to be winners - now pass me that packet of crisps, I'm worn out from all this typing!

1 comment:

Teggers said...

I think virtual mill, is a fantastic idea, send it to Ubisoft to create , it wil be a world beater.
I would rather be obese than sufer the power af getting TB like back in the old days.
TV is god, and we respond to the commands that TV asks, the bible has been made obsolete.